Dental Implants and Restorations
Serving Rockledge, Viera, Melbourne, Merritt Island, and Brevard County!
If you have lost or missing teeth you may wish to consider a dental implant from Ocean Breeze Dental. Whether your missing tooth is the result of periodontitis, tooth decay or an injury, we can help restore your smile with a beautiful new restoration that looks and functions just like a real tooth.
Stronger and functioning more like a natural tooth than bridges or dentures, a dental implant offers a single and permanent solution to a lost tooth; a small titanium screw that integrates into your jaw over the course of several months. Following osseointegration it is firmly fixed to the surrounding bone, and will remain so for many years to come.
- They will osseointegrate (bond) with the existing bone.
- It will support your teeth firmly and safely.
- They are aesthetically pleasing.
- You will no longer have pain during talking or eating.
- It will prevent progressive bone atrophy.
- They have a proven scientific basis.
- They can be fixed in place and will not wobble or pop out like conventional dentures.
Details of the Procedure
The tooth structure has two main sections, the root and the crown. The root is the section of the tooth that is below the gum line firmly embedded in bone. A dental implant takes the part of a root and integrates with your jawbone following placement.
- After adequate numbing and sedation are achieved
- the gum tissue is opened and the dentist places the implant(s) into the jawbone.
- This process can take from 15 minutes to several hours depending on the number being placed.
- Several sutures may be placed at the end of the procedure.
- Significant discomfort is not often reported with basic procedures.
- Typically the implant will be left undisturbed for a period of 3-4 months, during this time the bone will grow around it in a process called osseointegration.
- Various types of temporaries may be utilized during this time period depending on chewing and esthetic requirements.
- Following healing an abutment is attached by exposing the top and screwing it in place. This is the part that will support the final crown.
- Finally, an impression is taken and a final restoration is hand crafted by our skilled laboratory technicians. This restoration will be functional and esthetically pleasing. Your completed restoration will often resemble the original tooth in both form and function.
In addition to restoring a single missing tooth, we can also fabricate fixed bridges or removable dentures. Schedule an appointment to discuss the options that would best suit your unique situation.
For more information see our comprehensive section HERE