Resin Fillings (white)
For many years, cavities were filled with Dental amalgam, a mixture of metals, including tin, silver and mercury. It was considered perfectly normal to see these dark grey areas in someone's mouth when they talked or laughed. At Ocean Breeze Dental we have chosen to eliminate dental amalgam and mercury from our practice, as we feel it is in our patients' best interests.
At Ocean Breeze Dental, you can have your cavities, or small chips in your front teeth filled with tooth colored composite fillings. Composite fillings are made from resins and come in numerous shades that can be customized to your individual teeth so that they are practically invisible when applied.
Unlike Dental amalgam, composite fillings actually bond to your tooth structure through the use of adhesives and bonding agents. This mechanical as well as chemical bond provides an excellent seal on the affected area, so that future tooth decay can be prevented.
Typical Dental Filling Procedure
- Anesthetic is applied to numb the tooth being treated
- Decay or broken portion of the tooth is removed
- area to be bonded is etched with a liquid or gel
- bonding agent is then applied and cured
- The resin is then placed, often in increments, and once cured it is trimmed and polished
- Bite is checked to make sure your teeth align comfortably
- Leave with a beautifully hand sculpted, natural-looking restoration
Although composite resins are cosmetically pleasing and easily placed, their durability is not as strong as other types of definitive restorations that we offer. These resins typically last from 3-7 years before they begin to chip and wear away. When this happens, the restoration will need to be replaced. For larger and severe cavities crowns or veneers are often a better and more durable solution.